Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Intimidating (A to Z Challenge Day 9)

“Welcome the Pit Stop.  What can I get you?”

What can I get you’.  I’ve been avoiding this guy and the Pit Stop for months, even though my co-workers go there every week for lunch, and this was all I get from him.  I ordered, but otherwise kept my mouth shut.  That resolve didn’t last long though.

“You don’t remember me, do you.”  I said.

He looked up like he wasn’t sure I was talking to him. “I guess not.  Should I?”

“Does the name Carl sound familiar?”  Or Crybaby Carl which is what you called me when I rode the bus the first time in kindergarten and cried.  Or Carlie Temple when my mom let my hair grow out too long in elementary.  Or Clumsy Carl when I tried out for the high school track team and tripped.  “Carl Young.”

He thought for a bit.  “Uh, no I can’t say that it does.  Where do I know you from?”

“Highschool.”

“Wheatfield High?”

“That’s the one.”

“Alright, man!”  He tossed a box of cheese bread in a bag and handed it to me.  “The bread’s on the house for a fellow Pioneer.”

Cheesy bread.  I endured basically my entire elementary and high school academic career dealing with you breathing down my neck and my reward for that is a box of cheesy bread.
This was supposed to be my moment.  Your working at a fast food chain taking my order when you spent that whole time trying to make me feel like you’re better than me.  Now you can’t even remember my name?  Not even my face.


“Thanks.”  I took the bag and left.




I tried so hard
In spite of the way you were mocking me
Acting like I was part of your property
Remembering all the times you fought with me
I'm surprised it got so
Things aren't the way they were before
You wouldn't even recognize me anymore
Not that you knew me back then
But it all comes back to me in the end

--In the End by Linkin Park




No comments:

Post a Comment