Friday, April 3, 2015

Confess (A to Z Challenge Day 3)

We’re surrounded by countless others
My friends, your friends,
Like sisters, brothers
While over us these unspoken words hover
Could they know all I want is to hear ‘yeah, I love her’?

How could you be so close
And yet miles away
If I reached out I could touch you
But then what would you say?

Your body’s here but your heart’s not
We can’t seem to leave this zone
I feel we’re on the verge of something
But you still pretend that no one’s home

What if my hand held yours?
What would your feelings say?
Could my hand keep yours
Or would you pull away

Our group fades, the crowd recedes
The man at the front says it’s time to leave
If only you would keep your seat
What is the fate that I’ll receive?

Its closing time
We must go home
You walk out
And I go alone



Closing time
This room won't be open till your brothers or your sisters come
So gather up your jackets, move it to the exits
I hope you have found a friend
Closing time
Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end
-Closing Time by Semisonic


4 comments:

  1. Sad that they leave alone, but I would imagine that happens a lot at closing time?

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably, unfortunately. But perhaps they will return when it opens again! :)

      Delete
  2. Great piece of poetry - it's lovely and of course, speaks to the Universal theme that we have all shared, at one time or another.

    A thought and interesting bit of info. you might not know - about the song - Closing Time - the lyrics are actually about the lead singer's wife's birth of their first child. Problem was, he figured the guys in the band wouldn't want to be singing about that - so many of the lines are actually allusions to the birthing experience - but combined in such a way as to make it seem like an experience of meeting or being with someone, but them not really knowing the underlying feelings of "want" ect. So, when they are singing about "I know who I want to take me home" - the reference is actually about not wanting to leave the newborn at the hospital, even for a night. Cleverly written - and surprising. Hope this doesn't ruin the song for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And I didn't know that about the song! That's pretty cool. I'll have to look more into that.

      Delete