Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Apprehended (A to Z Challenge Day 1)

It would never be me, I thought.  I would never be stupid enough to get caught, I thought.  Who would be blind enough to fall for their traps, I thought.

I thought wrong.

One of those slow moving, wingless animals was after me again with their weird sticks, swinging it around in lazy loops.  It’s no joke if they really catch you with it though.  I saw a friend get caught…  It was a mess.  But they’re so slow!  It’s hard to take them seriously.  I easily evaded them and tried to take cover in my high corner.  The problem was that the Spiders caught on.

The Flies and the Spiders have always had it out for each other.  The Eight-legs were jealous of our wings.  Even with so many legs they can’t get as far as us.

Now I can’t get as far as anyone.

I could get free.  I've seen Fliers come back with horror stories.  Some flew in missing their legs while others managed to crawl to the nearest busy trash heap without a wing.  I struggled against the sticky ropes trying to feel for places that it was weak.  I felt no give.

It’ll be back soon.  No one has ever been through what the Eight-legs do to us and lived to tell the tale.  I can only use my imagination.

Too much time has gone by.  Why was it waiting?  I’m here.  I can’t go.  Just end it.

Just end the wait.



I’m a fly that’s trapped
In a web
But I’m thinking that
My spider’s dead.
Lonely, lonely little life
I could kid myself in thinking that I’m fine.
                -Always by Panic! At the Disco



15 comments:

  1. I don't know if the comment went through - so to make sure ....

    Great start and post to the challenge! I loved the perspective - really fantastical and such an amazing rendering! Well done :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only see one comment from you so I'm really glad you tried again! Thank you!

      Delete
  2. I LOVED this post! Can't wait to see the ways you take on your theme throughout the month. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! Music and stories are two of my favourite things, so I'll definitely be checking back in xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh the suspense with this! very nicely done!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh! I love this!!! You are very good Sarah. I will be back for more. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's much appreciated, Julie! Thank you!

      Delete
  6. Great stuff! Poor fly! Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I know. I may not be so quick to swat those poor bugs after writing this. Lol! Thank you!

      Delete
  7. Brand new follower here. Nice to meet you!

    Excellent story, too! Love your A to Z theme idea.

    2015 A to Z Challenge Co-Host
    Matthew MacNish from The QQQE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, thanks for joining and for your comment!

      Delete
  8. I remember dancing with my friends to this song in college. Great choice.

    Good luck with the 2015 A to Z Challenge!
    A to Z Co-Host S. L. Hennessy
    http://pensuasion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have fond memories with this particular group too. :D Thank you!

      Delete