My NaNoWriMo rules:
- You do not have to stay up till midnight writing on the first day if you feel sleepy. Or any other day. You have to work the next day and unfortunately don’t have the privilege to stay home and write all day with nap breaks.
- No writing at work. Multitasking to that degree stresses you out and you get so distracted even on slow days that you’d write like four words anyway. Relax. You can write when you clock out.
- You must write every day. None of that ‘it’s been a long day’ or ‘I’ll make it up tomorrow’ nonsense. You know you’re lying. One page, one paragraph, one sentence. That’s all I’m asking.
- Don’t make yourself get up early. You hate getting up early. You’ll stare at the page wishing you were sleep and write an amount of words that wasn’t worth it. Get your sleep.
- Don’t make yourself stay up late. You love staying up late. But the less sleep you get the more likely you’ll stop to stare at the page and write an amount of words that wasn’t worth it. Sound familiar? Seriously, GET YOUR SLEEP.
- You don’t have to be out of the house just to get stuff done. Except for write-ins, those are pretty productive. But if you can’t make it to one don’t use that as an excuse. You can write at home to.
- Really though, just have fun. It’s not homework. No one is going to be mad or let down if you don’t make 50k. Just do the thing