Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Entrapment (A to Z Challenge Day 5)

“You can stop pretending to be sleep now.”

My pulse quickened.  That voice, I knew that voice.  We all did even though we never saw his face.  I opened my eyes and slowly raised my head.  The only light in the room was a dim bulb above me.  I couldn't see anything else.

The disembodied voice laughed.  “I taught her well.”

He wasn't talking to me.  That meant that there was at least one other person in this room with us, maybe more.

“Why am I here?” My voice was hoarse.  How long has it been?  When I tried to move I could feel the tug of rope around my wrist.  I was sitting on a concrete floor with my hands behind my back.  This is not the usual situation that I would hear this voice.

“All in due time.”

“The last job, that was your fault wasn't it?”

I was only met with silence.  It was coming back.  The last job we pulled was rigged.  We didn't see it until it was too late.  No one else could have known that we were there or that we were coming.  Except the man whose voice this was.

“Why?  We work for you.  We take our orders from you.  Why would you sabotage us and yourself like this?”

“Well, who better to protect myself from than the people that I trained myself?  Anything you find comes straight to me and I learn how to better protect myself from those that I don’t have such a close hold on.  You have, however, gotten a bit too good.  Some of the things that you find could lead straight to me and 
ruin things.  Your work has been appreciated but you are now being dismissed.”

His casual tone and the intended message would have caused me to panic if I wasn't trained not to do so.  If he hadn't trained me.

I've spent my life making myself invisible to everyone for a cause that I thought was admirable and it’s all some wild goose chase.  A waste of my time.”

A laser point of light appeared in the distance, somewhere on top of a distant wall blinking out a pattern that I recognized.  I laughed.

“Tell me,” he said.  “I’m curious as to what about this you are finding humorous so that I can join in on your last moments of joy.”

You've underestimated us.”

I leapt up just a silenced bullet met the light bulb above my head.





When we move we camouflage ourselves
We stand in the shadows waiting
We live for this and nothing more
We are what You created

I can feel the storm, the winds have changed
Ooh, 'cause we're worlds apart but just the same
But we won't leave the way that we came

I know there's so much more ahead
I can barely believe that we're here
We won't surrender quietly, step up and watch it


--E for Extinction by TFK



15 comments:

  1. Oh, this is a scary one. I would definitely not want to be in that situation.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Betty! Thanks for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting,!. Read a few of your posts. You write pretty well Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Intriguing! Hope to read more from you this month!

    Jessica
    2015 A to Z Blogger
    Visions of Other Worlds

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm quite a bit behind right now... but you will see more! Lol. :)

      Delete
  5. Hello there.
    Entrapment is a sneaky word...the same way Satan entrapped Eve in the Garden of Eden! Thanks for sharing.

    Entrepreneurial Goddess

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoyed exploring your blog. Hope you are enjoying the a to z challenge. I saw your "about me" requesting book recommendations. Who are some of your favorite authors to read?

    Susan
    from clearingspace4joy.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I really am.

      Well, right now I love Rainbow Rowell and John Green. So I guess I'm into stories that have that 'could be real' feel if that makes sense. But I also have a soft spot for the contemporary Utopian/Dystopian kind of things (The Hunger Games, Matched, and The Selection series come to mind.). I look forward to your suggestions. I don't think my 'To be Read' list can ever be long enough. Lol.

      Delete