Saturday, December 10, 2011

Deck the Shelves with Awesome Authors

I think that a lot of people have a go-to book in their house. The ones that you can just pick up when you're bored and never seem to get old no matter how many times you read them. I thought that I would list a few of my favorite books and the authors that quickly became my favorite too.


Shel Silverstein - A light in the Attic, Where the Sidewalk Ends


Shel Silverstein was a children's poetry writer and he has been my favorite since forever. I have four of his books at least, the two titles I listed up there included, but I only put those two because they might have been the ones I first picked up. All of his poems are so fun and weird, in a good way of course. Lol.



Lois Lowry - The Giver

This is the only book to my memory that I have reread cover to cover. Once I know what is going to happen I really can't get into a book like the first time, but something about the way she uses description just impresses me. I did a project in my Children's Lit class on it as a matter of fact. I read the other two books that accompany it, but The Giver is by far my favorite.


Jack Prelutsky - A Pizza the Size of the Sun

This is another children's poet that I enjoy. I think I found him around the same time that I started reading Silverstein. This book had my favorite poem in it, which the book is named after. It's a really fun well written piece and it probably helps that I like pizza. I actually did a project a class on this one too.


Nadine Bernard Westcott - I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly


Hands down, all time favorite children's book. Ever. I still have the entire thing memorized and that has to say something that after years of not reading it I can still quote it nearly word for word. Now I'm not sure who actually was the first to write it but the copy of the book I have says that it was retold and illustrated by her. I also know that it was a song, which I never learned. It's just so catchy.





I like how most of my choices are children's books. Lol. What authors have you or do you want to deck your shelves with this year? Anyone specific on your Christmas list?

2 comments:

  1. I love The Giver! One of the first books I read as a kid that really made me think. Though I certainly didn't actually understand it till much later.

    I have a lot of go-to books. To stay in the children's/YA universe, The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare is one of my all-time faves. If you've never read it, you should definitely check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried to go to an event once that Lowry was at but didn't make it! I'm going to meet her one day. In a none stalker-ish way. Lol.

    I haven't read that one. I'll have to pick it up.

    ReplyDelete