Saturday, June 25, 2011

If you can't stand the heat...

So for a few weeks now I've been trying to work on a story of mine. Recently, I thought of a another story I wanted to work on. Now I'm pretty weird about how I work on stories because I don't like to work on a different one before I'm done with the one I've already started. But I'm kind of excited about the idea so I found myself thinking 'Oh, well, I'm just doing this one for fun so I can work on it when I'm bored'. But wait. If I consider this as 'for fun' what am I doing when I write the other?

That thought kind of shook me up. I'm a writer. I've written nearly all my life. I love writing. So what's happened that this story isn't fun?

I'll be honest. I haven't been writing a whole lot and I think it might be because I'm putting a lot of pressure on myself. It kind of sounds stupid but I just changed my major to Creative Writing, I've set in stone that I want this to pay the bills one day. And perhaps it's knowing that the sooner I finish something the sooner someone will read it. That's nerve racking for a lot of people right? I want people to like what I wrote so I take way too much time getting it done. I need to remember that the first draft will never be perfect. If I keep going at this rate I'll never get done at all.

Anyways, I think this was just a needed complaining rant post. But my summer has officially started! Now I have plenty of time to learn how to... write badly? Lol. Let's see how that goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment