Saturday, September 11, 2010

Where were you today?

Nine years ago today two planes hit the Twin Towers in New York. I thought because my usual posting day fell in line with this I would share my account of this event. It might be a little off topic perhaps but it is a story. I’ve seen this done before and I just thought I’d like to have some written account of that day from my view.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was still in junior high or middle school back then. Mom was getting ready to drop me off and we were late, as usual. I remember being in my room, just getting dressed, and Mom called to me from the living room. It was something like this:

“Sarah!”

“What?!”

“Come here! Get in here! Quick!”

She probably knew that this would be a historic event of sorts, something that I’d want to remember. So naturally I come running into the living to see the television showing a camera feed of two tall buildings, one with black smoke billowing from it. I don’t remember exactly what I was thinking or what was being said but I do remember watching as another plane came and crashed into the other building.

I went to school and I seem to have a faded memory of radios being on in the classrooms so we could listen to the news. There might have been a television too. What stayed with me the most was a bit of conversation I heard from some classmates.

“What if this is the rapture!?”

“If this were the rapture then we’d all be gone by now.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My sympathies go out to those who lost someone that day and overseas.

2 comments:

  1. What an unforgettable day that was. It was only a few days into the school year of my senior year of high school. I remember walking into third period Telecommunications class. The teacher sat us down and told us that a plane had just crashed into one of the buildings of the World Trade Center. He turned his radio on and we listened to a news broadcast. At this point, most people assumed it was some type of accident. Shortly into listening, the reporter started screaming that another plane had just hit the second tower. I remember my teacher's face fell. We listened for the rest of the period. I had Gym class the next period and I tried to tell one of my friends what was happening. He thought I was making the whole thing up. A few minutes later, the principal announced the plan crash to the entire school over the PA system. The rest of the day is kind of a blur. Teachers were instructed to keep teaching. Some students left school early because they had family that worked in or near the World Trade Center (I'm from Jersey.) We sang some hopeful songs in Choir class. I don't remember much. It was such a scary and confusing day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Isn't it strange the things that our brain will allow us to remember and forget? All I remember is what I mentioned in the post and it seems like a blur. Yet, like you said, it was unforgettable.

    ReplyDelete