Thursday, August 30, 2012

'The Selection'- Kiera Cass (Review)

                                                   
"For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in the palace and compete for the heart of the gorgeous Prince Maxon. 
But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks. 
Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself- and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined."
Both the picture and above blurb are from http://www.kieracass.com/books/

One of my first thoughts about this one?  'This is Hunger Games mixed with the Bachelor!'  Strange but true! The best way I can think of to describe this book as a whole is to say that it's almost like Hunger Games except the 'games' is The Bachelor.  There is a drawing that all the girls are put into (the difference here being that they enter only once and have a choice as to whether they're in the running at all).  There are 'caste' numbers that are like the 'districts' except they have more to do with how you live instead of where.  They are also set in a world were there are unconventional rules.  Then you have a group of girls going after the same guy for all the world to see.  Welcome to The Bachelor.  When I first started reading it I wasn't sure that I liked that (probably due to mixed feelings about the TV show...  Lol.).  I didn't think that it was bad but I wasn't in love with it yet either.  Although, I did say YET.

After I kept reading, because it was an interesting story, I found myself wanting to read it more and when I was done I still wanted more!  America seems to both be the typical girl and unexpected at the same time.  She has the same thoughts that most girls could probably relate with at some level along with a kind of boosted confidence, honesty, and bravery that just seems to be normal for her even in some of the situations she found herself in.

Not to mention that it was an excellent balance of humor and suspense.  I probably laughed about as many times as I was worried and I like that in a book.

A highly suggested read!

(Side note: This may be all the classes that I've been analyzing stories in talking here but is there some deeper meaning to her name being America?  Then having someone named Aspen?  Might just be me thinking too much.)

No comments:

Post a Comment