Saturday, July 24, 2010

Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli

Stargirl is the story of an eleventh grade boy, Leo Borlock and a new tenth grader named Stargirl. At the very beginning of the new school year everyone noticed Stargirl immediately. Everything was different about her, from the way she dressed to the way she acted. Leo soon found himself drawn to her but when the school turned on her he tries to convince her to become ‘normal.’

The first thing I thought when I saw this book was that its cover is really cute. The bright blue color and the yellow star and green stick figure with a dress tell you the title without using words. It’s a book that I wanted to be good so that the cover isn’t wasted.

After actually reading the book, I wasn’t disappointed. I liked it a lot. The characters were like-able, or hate-able depending on who we’re talking about, or both sometimes but I’ll save that for you to figure out when you read it. I was a little surprised that I found myself attached more to Leo than Stargirl, the one the book is named after. I guess you could say that it’s more his story than hers.

Anyways, I think Spinelli did an excellent job on this. It’s a short read, good for those who think they might not have time for thick books. It’s good for kids too. It might sound cheesy but it does convey the message that it’s ok to be ‘weird’ or different as long as it’s what you want and it makes you happy. That’s a message we all need to hear sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment